A broader definition of faith formation for 21st century families

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Lent Tent


You can involve your young children in the liturgical season of Lent by setting aside a space for reflection.  No really!  You can do this by designating a "Lent Tent"

We have a great play tent that a friend gave us, but we could have used a sun shade, a small tent, a box or even a special corner of the house with blankets, pillows and beanbags.   And, the other important supply to make this a place of reflection is to pile all the books that you have on spirituality, God, Jesus, etc. into one place.  Let your child read whatever they want whenever they want in their special space.  They don't have to follow any other special rules - kids have a great way of changing your best laid plans into their version, but let them.  That's where we get to learn from them.  Let your child know that this is a place that will always have a quiet space for them as long as they want it to be quiet (that's up to them) and books galore.  I loved seeing my complete library of spiritual kids books in one place (I have many that are Mustard Seeds books and a few library books that I plan to return to the church library soon). 

My oldest daughter is writing in her journal in this picture and following a modified version of my Lenten Writing Project at www.spirit2spiritwriters.blogspot.com.  She is getting some extra writing practice by committing to write each of the 40 days of Lent.  Today's prompt is a little grownup, so I have given her the prompt: how would you describe God to someone.  If God was a character in a book, what would the description be like?

Now my 7-year-old is reading a book to the 4-year-old that I've been trying to get them to read for months now.  Somehow, sister-to-sister reading is better suited to that book I guess.

Blessings to you as we journey though Lent!

No comments:

Post a Comment